My Mobile Phone & I

The massive advancement and breakthrough in technology more often than not altered what we believed and how we perceived things around us. It was used to be the case that one knows exactly where the demarcation line lay between the necessary and the necessity, but these days it is getting harder and harder to tell.

I grew up in an the era where things such as wireless internet, mobile phone, camera, home theatre system, and combo DVD player were lumped together as a necessary, or even luxury, these gadgets had never managed to cross the line to become a necessity.

This has certainly changed today. One thing worth observing is the transformation and the transition of mobile phone from being a necessary to a necessity. In my case, mobile phone is no longer a necessity; instead, it has become my lifeline. Never once it occurred to me before, that mobile phone would become this important to me.

I had my first mobile phone when I was 18 years old and that was in the year 1994. Nowadays, if you do not have a mobile phone by the time you celebrated your 10th birthday, technically you are irrelevant to the society. Trying to be at par with the pace of the advancement of technology, I had already changed my mobile phone to a new model, for six times. Every time, I resorted to another phone, due to all kind of reasons, the functions or the capabilities of the mobile phone continue to increase.

Reluctantly, I have to admit that my mobile phone is actually my ‘second wife’. I could not fathom how it reached this stage but I would not survive a day without my mobile phone. Without it, I will become restless, helpless, and lost. Early in the morning, my mobile would assume the role of an alarm clock, which dutifully wakes me up every morning at 6 am without fail. My mobile phone would then morph to become my adviser on what are the things that I should be doing in a particular day. Reminding me to collect my laundry, pay utility bills, my meetings, and most importantly my birthday.

The ability to stay connected to others really provides a strong sense of security and freedom. Whether we like it or not, fact remains that human has become too dependant on technology.

I once planned to have an ‘unplugged’ outing with my wife. Free ourselves from all this electronic and electronic gadgets especially my mobile phone. Sound tempting. On second thought, to be away from technology especially my mobile phone, does spell danger to my family and I. I am still considering.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment